FEATURED In This Month’s Body House Chronicles is the Exceptional Beauty of…
Julie Newmar is an American actress, dancer, singer, writer, lingerie designer, and real-estate mogul. She was born Julia Chalene Newmeyer on August 16, 1933, in Los Angeles, California to Helene Jesmer (a former Ziegfeld Follies Girl) and Don Newmeyer. Newmar is the oldest of 3 children.
JULIE NEWMAR WILL BE TURNING 90 THIS YEAR!
Julie Newmar is often best remembered as the original Catwoman in the 1960s television series “Batman.”
Here’s a few quick important facts about Julie Newmar as the original Catwoman:
- First Catwoman: Julie Newmar became the first actor to play Catwoman in the “Batman” TV series. She acted in the first two seasons of the show. Newmar’s portrayal of Catwoman brought a unique blend of sensuality, wit, and charm to the character.
- Comics Origins: Catwoman is one of Batman’s earliest comic book adversaries, first appearing in Batman #1 in April of 1940. Julie Newmar’s portrayal of Catwoman helped bring the character to life on the small screen.
- Legacy: Julie Newmar’s portrayal of Catwoman set the standard for the character. Her characterization has sealed her place in our memories as a beloved and iconic Catwoman.
Julie Newmar’s portrayal of Catwoman has left a lasting impact on popular culture, and she is often remembered as one of the most iconic interpretations of the character.
Fast Facts About JULIE NEWMAR‘S Life
HERE IS A BRIEF LIST OF JULIE’S RELATIONSHIPS, LOVERS, AND MARRIAGE:
- Engagement to Louis L’Amour: Newmar was once briefly engaged to novelist Louis L’Amour
- Relationship with Mort Sahl: Newmar had a romance with comedian Mort Sahl.
- Relationship with Ken Scott: Newmar had a romance with actor Ken Scott.
- Marriage to J. Holt Smith: Newmar married lawyer J. Holt Smith on August 5, 1977.
- Holt and Newmar divorced after 7 years of marriage.
- Holt and Newmar had one son together named John Jewl Smith who was born February 21, 1981.
- Newmar gave birth to her son – her first and only child – at the age of 48 after 3 miscarriages.
- Their son John Jewl was born with Downs Syndrome. A few years later he became deaf and mute.
- Newmar still lives witherher son John Jewl who is said to be an artist.
Newmar has been a vocal supporter of LGBT rights, and her brother, John Newmeyer, is gay.
In 2013, Newmar was awarded a lifetime achievement award from the Gay and Lesbian Elder Housing organization in Los Angeles.
Julie was on described as “built like a brick shithouse.”
She writes about this ‘compliment’ on her site here…